In this episode, Brian talks to Haroon Ali, founder of Stellify BI, on how he made the jump from corporate to consulting. In just six short years, Haroon went from being a graduate student in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering with no data analytics experience to becoming an Enterprise DNA intern, and from being a skilled corporate BI Analyst to founding a successful consulting firm.
Brian and Haroon talk about a wide range of issues, including how to break into the BI field with no experience, the challenges of transitioning from a technical developer role to a management and leadership position, and advice for those considering making a similar leap to consulting.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode
- You don’t need to learn everything right away; you just need to get your foot in the door and see what you like.
- The importance of diversity and why you don’t want to always be working with people like yourself
- Don’t be contained (or boxed in) by your job title.
- Take a step back instead of doing everything on your own, and delegate the tasks you cannot do.
- Concentrate on a few areas like SQL and Power BI, and be confident of your skill sets.